Hosted by Ovid, HealthSTAR is comprised of data from the National Library of Medicine's (NLM) MEDLINE and former HealthSTAR databases. As such, it contains citations to the published literature on health services, technology, administration, and research. It focuses on both the clinical and non-clinical aspects of health care delivery. The following topics are included: evaluation of patient outcomes; effectiveness of procedures, programs, products, services and processes; administration and planning of health facilities, services and manpower; health insurance; health policy; health services research; health economics and financial management; laws and regulation; personnel administration; quality assurance; licensure; and accreditation.
- Automatically maps your search terms to preferred medical subject headings (MeSH)
- Offers proximity searching. For example, lung adj5 transplant allows you to search for a string of terms within 5 words of lung and transplant such as lung and antibiotics therapy in transplant
- Includes citations back to 1966.
- Structured approach to searching for complex topics
- Search different Ovid databases at one time, e.g., you can search HealthSTAR & MEDLINE simultaneously.
- When performing a subject search, you must select the Explode option to expand search results
- Conference abstracts are not indexed
- Unlike PubMed, there is not a direct link to consumer health information from MedlinePlus