Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Individual Groups Supporting the Mission of Advancing Diversity & Inclusion at Mayo Clinic
- Diversity and Inclusion Vision: Mayo Clinic will be recognized by patients, employees, peer institutions, and the community as the leading model for diversity and inclusion.
- Diversity and Inclusion Goals; 1. Provide high quality, culturally appropriate care in a welcoming environment to all patients, Increase the diversity of Mayo Clinic patients. 2. Improve inclusiveness and participation of diverse employees at all levels of the organization. 3. Increase the proportion of women and minority students, faculty, administrators and staff where underrepresented. 4. Increase the proportion of women and minorities in senior leadership. Identify and eliminate health disparities; become a national leader in the science and promotion of health equity. 5. Develop an integrated and formal infrastructure for the Office of Diversity and Inclusion and for coordination and dissemination of diversity values, programs and scholarship activities.
- The Office of Diversity and Inclusion supports the many MERGs (Mayo Employee Resource Groups) that champion the lead in making diversity and inclusion a reality in the workplace.
The Office for Diversity joins the concerted team effort at Mayo Clinic to take deliberate steps in creating a conducive environment to ensure the success of all learners that enter the doors of MCCMS. At Mayo Clinic, we believe that diversity and inclusion helps us to achieve our time honored commitment to attract, develop and retain the next generation of healthcare professionals to pursue the triple shield moto of excellence in patient care, education, and research. Our greatest hope is that all learners will have a diverse set of educational experiences that will prepare them to be at the frontier of science and medicine. The MCCMS has unwavering commitment to diversity and inclusion and the benefits they have in the learning environment. Check out their Diversity in Education Blog.
The office's mission is to research, assess, recommend, implement and maintain standardized processes and operational infrastructure to support and ensure Mayo Clinic’s commitment to inclusivity and health equity for all patient populations Mayo Clinic serves.
This responsibility includes:
- Establishing and maintaining consistency in resources and processes supporting the clinical practice's equity and inclusion efforts. This includes strategic partnerships with the Office of Diversity and Inclusion and Clinical Practice leadership at each Mayo Clinic site (MCR, MCA, MCF, MCHS).
- Developing and coordinating resources to assist providers and their support staff in providing culturally competent care to patients from diverse backgrounds. This includes partnering with institutional resource teams for the development, integration and delivery of content.
- Increasing institutional awareness of health disparities and the role clinical providers and support staff can play in providing equitable and inclusive care.
- Providing consultative support to those seeking assistance in addressing health disparities and inclusion in their clinical practice.
- Ensuring socially accepted and medically relevant language that promotes inclusivity and compliance with government and regulatory requirements. This includes partnering with Mayo Clinic leaders overseeing infrastructure in related areas (Health Information Coordinating Subcommittee, Office of Access Management, Office of Diversity and Inclusion, Human Resources, etc.).
OHDR supports meaningful research programs to identify, develop and deploy strategies to eliminate health disparities, and ensure that our research subjects and patients reflect the diverse communities that form the mosaic of our nation.
- Encourage and establish the importance of health disparities research across the enterprise via awards, educational effort and annual meetings
- Search sources of funding and distribute the information to researchers based on their specific health disparities focus
- Foster need-based collaborations between researchers by connecting investigators with similar and/or complementary research interests
- Identify and help deliver applicable resources available within Mayo Clinic to conduct health disparities research- such as the Mayo Clinic Biobank, the Survey Research Center, BERD, the Office for Community-Engaged Research and several others. Learn about additional relevant Mayo Clinic resources.