Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Spirit of Eagles and Native Circle
One of 18 NCI-funded Special Populations Networks formed in 2000 with goals to increase cancer awareness among tribal Nations and increase community based participatory research opportunities.
Recent Education/Training Accomplishments:
- Hampton Faculty fellowships have supported 15 MD and PhD early stage investigators from across the country that are American Indian / Alaska Native or have dedicated their careers to eliminating health disparities in American Indians / Alaska Natives to create a firm research foundations. Investigators were paired with mentors, provided with opportunities to improve biomedical publication and grant writing skills via CCaTS workshops and other workshops, and supported in many other ways.
- Hampton Scholarships, which are general scholarships to support American Indian / Alaska Native students in health careers
- Scholarships for American Indian / Alaska Native students for exam expenses (prep and fee), application expenses, and interview travel expenses
- Travel scholarships for American Indian / Alaska Native students for national conferences and meetings – ex: American Indian Science and Engineering Society, Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science, Association of American Indian Physicians, Native Research Network, and more
- Travel support and arrangements for American Indian / Alaska Native students to attend National Institutes of Health Visit Week
- scholarships for American Indian / Alaska Native students and community members to attend Spirit of EAGLES National Conferences
- MCAT/GRE Preparation Workshops for American Indian / Alaska Native students
Recent Outreach Activities:
- exhibiting and sharing health and education opportunity information at national conferences and meetings – ex: American Indian Science and Engineering Society, Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science, Association of American Indian Physicians, Native Research Network, National Indian Health Board, and more
- exhibiting and sharing health information at regional health fairs, conferences, and meetings
- provided funding for more than 60 American Indian / Alaska Native community based projects across the country via a competitive community grants program
Native CREST (Cancer Research Experience & Student Training)
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine SACNAS Chapter
SACNAS is an inclusive organization dedicated to fostering the success of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans, from college students to professionals, in attaining advanced degrees, careers, and positions of leadership in STEM.
Mayo Clinic School of Health Science Career Immersion Program
Career Immersion Program
An annual Minnesota based week-long summer program designed to introduce allied health care professions to sophomore and junior high school students.