This stage of the systematic review process involves transcribing information from each study using a structured piloted format designed to consistently and objectively capture the relevant details. Two reviewers working independently are preferred for accuracy. Data must be managed appropriately in a transparent way and available for future updates of the systematic review and for data sharing. A sampling of data collection tools are listed here.
Consult Cochrane Interactive Learning Module 4: Selecting Studies and Collecting Data for further information. *Please note you will need to register for a Cochrane account while initially on the Mayo network. You'll receive an email message containing a link to create a password and activate your account.*
1. Li T, Higgins JPT, Deeks JJ. Collecting data. In: Higgins J, Thomas J, Chandler J, et al, eds. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. version 6.2 ed. Cochrane; 2021:chap 5. https://training.cochrane.org/handbook/current/chapter-05
2. Page MJ, Moher D, Bossuyt PM, et al. PRISMA 2020 explanation and elaboration: updated guidance and exemplars for reporting systematic reviews. BMJ (Clinical research ed). 2021;372:n160. doi:https://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.n160
See Item 9 – Data Collection Process and Item 10 – Data Items
3. Buchter RB, Weise A, Pieper D. Development, testing and use of data extraction forms in systematic reviews: a review of methodological guidance. BMC medical research methodology. 2020;20(1):259. doi:https://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12874-020-01143-3
4. Mathes T, Klasen P, Pieper D. Frequency of data extraction errors and methods to increase data extraction quality: a methodological review. BMC medical research methodology. 2017;17(1):152. doi:https://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12874-017-0431-4
5. Hartling L. Creating efficiencies in the extraction of data from randomized trials: a prospective evaluation of a machine learning and text mining tool. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2021 Aug 16;21(1):169. doi: 10.1186/s12874-021-01354-2. PMID: 34399684; PMCID: PMC8369614.