Thank you for your interest in the Health Literacy Selective. Please review the criteria below:
- First, contact the librarian at your campus (Cynthia Beeler (Rochester campus), Lisa Marks (Arizona campus), or Tara Brigham (Florida campus)) for pre-approval. Students should work with the librarian at their respective campus.
- Fill out the MMS selective form found here and submit it to your learning management system.
During your selective week:
- Complete the assigned readings.
- Watch the assigned videos.
- Conduct a minimum of three interviews with family, friends, acquaintances, etc. about a time when they had a hard time understanding their healthcare professional. This could be at a doctor's office, pharmacy, or hospital. Ask them how this made them feel, and what they would like you to know as a medical student.
- Write two essays. 1) How will your knowledge of health literacy issues impact how you practice medicine? 2) Reflect on the interviews and their answers to your questions.
- Send your essays to Cynthia, Lisa, or Tara by the end of your selective.
- Locate at least one peer-reviewed journal article (other than one in required readings) on health literacy. Please consult with Cynthia, Lisa, or Tara if you need help with searching the literature. Email the citation of the article you found with your essays. Be sure to read the article and be prepared to discuss it.
- Schedule a 30-minute meeting via Outlook with Cynthia, Lisa, or Tara to discuss your selective experience. The meeting should occur the week after the selective, but can be negotiated with the librarian.