Thank you for your interest in the Health Literacy Selective. Please review the criteria below:
- First, contact the librarian at your campus (Cynthia Chelf (Rochester campus), Lisa Marks (Arizona campus), or Tara Brigham (Florida campus)) for pre-approval. Students should work with the librarian at their respective campus.
- Fill out the MMS selective form found here and submit it to your learning management system.
During your selective week:
- Complete the assigned readings.
- Watch the assigned videos.
- Conduct a minimum of three interviews with family, friends, acquaintances, etc. about a time when they had a hard time understanding their healthcare professional. This could be at a doctor's office, pharmacy, or hospital. Ask them how this made them feel, and what they would like you to know as a medical student.
- Write two essays. 1) How will your knowledge of health literacy issues impact how you practice medicine? 2) Reflect on the interviews and their answers to your questions.
- Send your essays to Cynthia, Lisa, or Tara by the end of your selective.
- Schedule a 30-minute meeting via Outlook with Cynthia, Lisa, or Tara to discuss your selective experience. The meeting should occur the week after the selective, but can be negotiated with the librarian.