A premier peer-reviewed scientific journal, Mayo Clinic Proceedings has been continuously published since 1926. This exhibit explores the journal’s history and is part of a series of centenary celebrations leading up to the 100th anniversary in April 2026.
The first issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings – initially entitled Bulletin of Mayo Clinic and the Mayo Foundation – was published April 21, 1926. This four-page weekly publication supplemented Mayo Clinic’s daily internal newsletter, The Clinic Bulletin. Consisting of research presented at weekly staff meetings and reports from physicians’ travels to other medical institutions, these early volumes were edited by Maud Mellish Wilson, who had been recruited by William J. Mayo, M.D., in 1907 to manage “the literary end of the business”.
The journal’s name changed a few times in its first year of publication, eventually settling on Proceedings of the Staff Meetings of the Mayo Clinic in 1927. In 1964, the journal’s current name, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, was adopted.
In 1992, submissions were opened to authors not affiliated with Mayo Clinic; today, more than 80% of submissions are from non-Mayo authors. The journal’s prestigious history and rigorous review process – the acceptance rate for original research is approximately 8% – contribute to its continuing reputation as a respected and trustworthy scientific publication.
Born Maud Headline in Faribault, Minnesota, she graduated from nursing school in Chicago in 1887 and married Ernest J. Mellish, M.D., in 1899. Following his death in 1905, Maud came to Mayo Clinic in 1907 to organize the library and edit papers for publication. Maud married Louis B. Wilson, M.D., in 1924, taking the name Maud Mellish Wilson. She was appointed director of the Division of Publications in 1914 and served as head of the Editorial Department until her death in 1933.
Maud Mellish Wilson standing on the steps of the 1914 Building, undated.
Maud Mellish Wilson reading in the Mayo Clinic library, undated.
Mayo Clinic Proceedings was sent to subscribers around the world. These cards are surviving samples from the old mailing list. (Courtesy of Scientific Publications)
In this 1961 photograph, custodial staff (left to right) Laor Betts, Edward Duffy, and Walter Gerber transport one of the biweekly Proceedings mailings to the Rochester post office.
Maud Mellish Wilson published the first edition of The Writing of Medical Papers in 1922. The handbook, intended for “writers of medical papers, and for those who edit, or read proof on such papers”, includes grammar rules, abbreviations and terminology specific to the medical field, and general writing guidelines, some of which are listed below.
To view an online version of the book, go to: https://archive.org/details/writingofmedical00melluoft
Staff meetings were initially held in the assembly room of the 1914 Building (above), located where the Siebens Building now stands.
Following the completion of the Plummer Building in 1928, staff meetings were held in Plummer Hall on Plummer 14. In this 1952 photo (above), Mayo Clinic Proceedings assistant managing editor, Ellen Guldberg, records a presentation by George G. Stilwell, M.D.
This computer-produced index was released in 1976 for the publication’s 50th anniversary. It consists of a primary author index and a keyword-title index, and it documents about 10,000 articles, abstracts, and reports published in Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
The preliminary research report of Philip S. Hench, M.D., and Edward C. Kendall, Ph.D., on the use of cortisone to treat rheumatoid arthritis is cited at the bottom of the second column on page 53; the third entry in the third column is Dr. Hench’s report about their trip to Stockholm, Sweden, to receive the 1950 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for their research.
This exhibit was designed and curated by the staff of The W. Bruce Fye Center for the History of Medicine. All images and artifacts are from the Center unless otherwise stated.
To learn more about Mayo Clinic history, heritage and the history of medicine, visit: